Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Z is for Zoo

It's difficult to believe this is the last day of the A-Z challenge. April flew by! Throughout the month, I shared about some of my favorite places in San Diego and tried to highlight unique or unknown areas. But today I've got to make Z the obvious choice: the San Diego Zoo.

People from around the world visit San Diego just to see the famous zoo. In fact, it's former slogan used to be "World Famous San Diego Zoo." They've dropped that line, but it's still an amazing place to visit. Growing up in the Midwest, I knew about it at an early age because of Joan Embery who often appeared on The Tonight Show with animals from the San Diego Zoo during the '80s.

It's hard to choose a favorite animal or exhibit because so many stand out. There is usually a long line to see the giant pandas. It is fascinating to watch them eat bamboo and play. A few months ago, as a special treat, the pandas had a snow day. Shaved ice was blown into the exhibit to form piles of snow, and the panda cub experienced snow for the first time. In recent years several exhibits have been improved and remodeled to give the animals more room to roam. The elephant habitat was expanded to become the "Elephant Odyssey." On May 24, the "Australian Outback" will open a with new and improved koala exhibit and expanded habitat for the Australian animals. One of my favorite zoo moments was visiting early in the morning on a cool day and watching a koala bear climb a tree. Usually they are sleeping, so it was a treat to see one so active and realize they aren't exactly cuddly teddy bears. The claws the koala used to climb that eucalyptus tree were sharp!

The zoo is a great place to walk and get some exercise. If you decide to explore all the trails and exhibits, it is quite a workout. If you end up near the polar bears and decide you're too tired to walk back to the entrance, take a ride on the Skyfari Aerial Tram to get bird's eye view of the zoo and relax.

Along with the zoo, SeaWorld and Legoland are popular local theme parks that make San Diego a sought after vacation destination. I hope you're able to visit someday and check out some of the places on my A to Z list!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really looking forward to the new Koala exhibit! And well done on completing A to Z from start to finish. Impressive, most impressive.

Anonymous said...

I love the SD Zoo (and WAP!).

My preschool teacher works in the education department there, and because she left the preschool after I was in her class, I took a bunch of the "kinderzoo" classes they used to offer. K is for Koala was my favorite (though I was so sad to hear how mean they are because they look so cute and cuddly! ha!) :-) I'm anxious to see the new exhibit.

I got a pass in August, never imagining how upside down my life was going to turn - so I've only used it that day I got it again and saw a bit of what they were doing for the Koala area. I hope I can pull off another visit there or the WAP before it expires!

I've so enjoyed your A-Z and also just finding a local person with whom I have so many things in common! God is so funny sometimes in how He orchestrates things, isn't He?!

I look forward to continuing to read your blog!

Sara Fowler said...

Milo - Thanks for your comments and encouragement!

Leese - Those "kinderzoo" classes must have been so much fun! What a treat to grow up in SD with the zoo nearby. Hope you are able to go see the new Koala exhibit. Your A to Z posts have inspired me, and I think it was a God thing to connect with you through the A to Z challenge this year. I will look forward to reading your blog going forward as well!

Susan Kane said...

On New Year's Eve, we all went to the 'Safari Park' (formerly known as The Wild Animal Park). We bought membership, and have gone several times since.

Looking forward the Australian part of the Zoo, when it opens.

Kathleen Jennette said...

Whenever there is a kid with me, we go to the Zoo. People may not like them, but they are here and its a great learning ground for getting to know the animals. Who knows, a Vet may emerge from the experience.

Unknown said...

This zoo sounds so fantastic, I hope to see it someday.

congrats on completing a-z. :)