Each March through early May in San Diego you might catch a glimpse of this brilliant display of nature's beauty from the 5 freeway. It's worth stopping and viewing the flowers up close. Take the Palomar Airport Road exit by the windmill and visit the Flower Fields in Carlsbad. Stroll past rows of Ranunculus, see an American flag grown with flowers, ride on the antique tractor wagon and listen to an audio tour, and get lost for a few minutes in the Sweet Pea Maze.
Once you've finished admiring the flowers, the Premium Outlets are nearby, or you can get a tasty Pizookie at BJ's restaurant with the view of the Flower Fields in the distance. It's a great way to spend a spring day in North County!
Have you ever been to the Flower Fields? Does your town have a spring event you attend each year?

4 comments:
As soon as I find someone willing to drive me - since I'm not well enough to drive right now - that's the place at the top of my list to go! I've already been mentally trying to figure out where I'll fit it in my A-Z if/when I get to go...and knowing this year I can't wander like normal, but at least could go see it a bit.
I spent my birthday at the flower fields and Quail Gardens (conveniently nearby for people wanting to make a day of it!) two years ago, wandering and taking photos, and it was perfect!
I've gotten a "pass" to the flower fields, too...so fun to go several times and see how they bloom and progress over the time it's open.
I love that you blogged about this San Diego 'treasure!'
Leese - That sounds like a great birthday! (stayed tuned for post Q... it might be the Quail Gardens) ( ; Didn't know about the "pass." Might have to look into that for next year. Thanks!
The country on the coast -- that's what it feels like to me.
Milo - The tractor rides really add to the country feel.
Post a Comment