In Spanish La Jolla means "The Jewel," and it lives up to its name as the jewel of San Diego. If you're lucky enough to take a stroll along the ocean in La Jolla, you will probably agree that it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. One thing that makes it stand out is the overlook where you're able to view seals swimming up to the beach at the Children's Pool.
The Children's Pool was originally intended as a place for children to swim and play as the name suggests. But over time seals began swimming up to the beach during pupping season and lounging in the sun. There is an ongoing debate about whether people should be able to use the beach or if it should be left alone for the seals. I tend toward the seal side. There are so many wonderful beaches in San Diego where people are free to swim. But this is the one special place where the seals congregate. It is fascinating to stand on the overlook and watch them scoot in and out of the water or sleep on the sand. On the other side of the overlook, sometimes you'll see them hop up on rock formations jutting out of the ocean to sun themselves as well.
Word to the wise: look out for waves when you're on the overlook! Sometimes during high tide the waves crash right over it. Part of the fun is knowing that you might get drenched while watching the seals.

2 comments:
Have you eaten at Brockton Villa ever? It's pretty near the seals there :-)
Although I know you like another place nearby so maybe not!
They have really good "Coast Toast" (despite having the recipe on their website it's not the same as eating there...and I like to cook!) which is a yummy French toast (something I don't really eat otherwise!) And they have really good bacon...and various egg related breakfast dishes.
I like taking out of town people there since it's overlooking the water - especially sitting outside - and you can walk along the cove area practically stepping out of the restaurant. The only bummer is it can be VERY crowded on weekends. (They may do reservations...I forget...I just try to do a sort of "off" breakfast time time if I've not planned ahead and go sort of spontaneously!
Watching those seals can easily make for hours of entertainment.
Post a Comment