Torrey Pines is a coastal area just south of Del Mar that showcases the natural beauty and variety of activities that make San Diego a wonderful place to live and a sought after tourist destination. For locals, going to Torrey Pines might mean finding a free street parking spot along the 101 above the beach and going surfing or boogie boarding in the ocean. It is one of my favorite beaches in San Diego. There are life guards on lookout during the summer, and it is a perfect spot to take a dip and catch some waves.
But there is so much more to the Torrey Pines area. It is considered a state park, and the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve on the bluffs above the beach has a visitor's center and hiking trails surrounded by wildflowers that lead to panoramic ocean overlooks and back down to the sand.
Art in the Pines will take place on May 4 and 5. It will be a two day celebration of nature though art. I've never been before, but hope to check it out this year. On normal days, you can drive, bike or even walk up to the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve. On that weekend, I'd suggest taking one of the free shuttles that will be available in the North Beach and South Beach parking lots.
Have you ever been to Art in the Pines? What is your favorite Torrey Pines hike? Do you have a favorite outdoor spot in your town?

4 comments:
Torrey Pines is a wonderful park, much more than just a golf course or beach. There are guided nature walks for schools, with well established trails.
I don't know what it's called, but my favorite trail is the one that leads straight to the beach below.
Susan - Glad you also enjoy Torrey Pines!
Milo - Me too. Those tiny steps are fun to navigate.
Your choice makes far more sense, but I was hoping you'd use Tecolote Canyon. It's mostly developed now, but when I was a kid in the early 60's it was mostly undeveloped and we used to love to "explore" the canyon. Now there is still a nature center and a trail. I've never walked the trail but hope I can some day just to see if any old memories are sparked.
Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Post a Comment