Friday, April 19, 2013

Q is for Quail Botanical Gardens

The Quail Botanical Gardens are an oasis in the North County of San Diego. In 2009 the name was changed to San Diego Botanic Garden, but it is still the same place full of fascinating tropical plants and flowers. If you're in the Encinitas area, make sure to stop by. Points of interest include the waterfall in the middle of the garden, the Bamboo Garden, the Children's Garden with a jungle gym and tree house, and the Walled Garden. I had the privilege of attending a wedding in the Walled Garden once, and it reminded me of a fairy tale setting in real life. If you're a fan of the classic children's book "The Secret Garden," make sure to see it. 

Recently I participated in a service project at the SDBG and spent the morning with a group of volunteers hauling away Acacia tree brush that was taking over indigenous plants. I learned that part of the mission of SDBG is native plant conservation and endangered species plant preservation. It was inspiring to see the passion of the employees who truly care about the gardens and the work they are doing.

On May 11, the annual Chocolate Festival will take place. I've never been yet, but it sounds amazing! Have you ever visited the Quail Botanical Gardens (SDBG)? What is your favorite plant or flower?

6 comments:

Susan Kane said...

I have watched QBG grow and change over the 25 years of living in the area. What a place it is now! Love it all.

Kathleen Jennette said...

Another place I need to visit. Haven't been there in a long time.
KaTy Did at: Life's Ride As I See It

Anonymous said...

I probably don't have to say I like this one, eh? :-) I purposely did just one particular plant at QG though!

Anonymous said...

That waterfall is freakin' cool. So is the man-eating cactus...

Sara Fowler said...

Susan - Even in the short time I've lived in SD, it has improved a lot. Hope it continues to grow and change in positive ways.

KT Did - You will be amazed at how much it has grown.

Leese - Great minds think alike! The pictures of the Sapphire Tower you posted are so beautiful. Don't think I noticed it before, but now I will go back and look for it specifically!

Milo - That catcus was a classic photo opportunity!

Sara Fowler said...

Cactus - grrr, I need a spellchecker for these comments. Lol!