Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O is for Olympic Training Center

If you're a fan of the Olympics, take a drive to the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, southeast of San Diego, to see the place where Olympic athletes train for their golden moments. The warm weather makes it possible for the athletes to train year-round for summer sports like: archery, BMX, canoe/kayak, cycling, field hockey, rowing, soccer, softball, tennis, and track and field. The center has state of the art equipment and also provides housing and dining facilities for the athletes.
Enjoy a free self-guided tour past the training sites by taking a mile-long walk on the Olympic Path. Maps are available at the Visitor's Center. There is also an added audio tour available via cell phone. If you prefer a guided tour, those take place every Saturday at 11am. When I visited a few years ago, I opted for the self-guided tour. It allowed the freedom to stop and stare at the athletes in their natural habitat. It wasn't very busy that day, but the most exciting part was seeing a few athletes in action. It gave me even more respect for all the work they put in every day in order to qualify for the Olympics and have a chance to medal on the world stage every four years. 

After touring the grounds, make sure to check out the Visitor's Center and Team USA Shop. You can buy a commemorative t-shirt and other Olympic gear to support team USA and cheer on the athletes in style during the next Winter Olympics in 2014! 

What is your favorite Olympic sport? Have you ever attended the Olympics in person or competed?

5 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I am a bigger Summer Olympics fan myself. I have never been to either though.

For winter, I like the speed skating. They go so fast it's amazing.

--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side and The Witch
Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
The Freedom of Nonbelief

Anonymous said...

"In their natural habitat" -- probably more entertaining than the zoo!

Anonymous said...

That's one place I've not been yet...I meant to take the boys I was teaching, and then we had the chance to go watch the Olympic Swim Trials right before the Athens Olympics (that actually was almost my "O" post!) and never ended up heading down to the training center. I should still just go do it!

Hey, emailed you (not sure you get the replies on my blog to your comments so I replied that way! Ha!) by the way :-)

Can't wait to see what's next post wise!

Kathleen Jennette said...

I watched the Olympic Flame go by in Laguna years ago. That's as close as I have come to seeing it other than on TV. Chula Vista, so close!

KaTy Did at: Life's Ride As I See It

Sara Fowler said...

Timothy - It is awesome that they stay on their feet going so fast! Except in Short Track where it seems wipeouts are more common. Apollo Anton Ono sure dominated that event.

Milo - Less likely to see athletes sleeping in the sun in the middle of the day ( ;

Leese - Watching the Olympic Swim trials sounds so exciting! The swimmers are always so close to each other time-wise. Can't imagine training 4 years and placement being only a 10th or 100th of a second difference. Was 2004
the pre-Phelps era?

KT Did - Would love to see the Olympic flame on its journey. Who was running with it? Sounds like an unforgettable experience!