Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for The Artist

A is for the movie The Artist.

"They don't make 'em like they used to!" Unless you're talking about The Artist. This black and white silent movie about silent movies in the late 1920s and the transition to sound was released in 2011. It is an exquisite throwback to days gone by, and it swept most of the big awards at the Oscars this year.

It was a surreal experience watching The Artist in the theater. I could sense that the entire audience was spellbound, and you could hear a pin drop at times when the soundtrack music stopped.
The movie made me reflect on the way advances in technology have the ability to alter entire art forms. I compare it to the revolution happening with e-readers like the Kindle. I wonder if 100 years from now people will look back at paper books with nostalgia.

Let me know what you think. Did you see The Artist? Are there any black and white movies that you still love? How do you think technology will change movies and other art forms in the future?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! Stopping by on the A to Z Challenge. I've never seen The Artist. Sounds like it might be an interesting movie. Thanks for sharing about it.

Susanne
PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

I have a collection of b&w movies. They fuel my imagination.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I have a lot of good about this movie. I will need to check it out.

Tim
The Other Side
The Freedom of Nonbelief

Elise Fallson said...

Hi there. Stopping by from the A-Z challenge. I haven't seen the Artist but I really want to. Plus, I live in France! (:

betty said...

Visiting from A-Z; I haven't seen this movie but I have heard wonderful things about it! I'll have to try to catch it, and I would imagine on a big screen would be the best place to watch it!

Good luck with the challnege!

betty

Sara Fowler said...

Hi all - thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

I enjoyed reading your blogs as well. I would definitely recommend checking out the Artist on the big screen or even when it comes out on dvd. Elise, since you live in France, I think you'll especially enjoy seeing the French actors.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this one. In the future, I'm thinking we'll all just jack into the web with some kind of cerebral implant... =]