O is for the Olympics
My earliest memory of the Olympics is watching U.S. gymnast Mary Lou Retton win gold in 1984. But did I really see it live on TV or was her winning moment replayed so many times I only think I did?
Maybe it's just a nostalgic memory of Mary Lou on the front of my Wheaties cereal box? Either way in 1984 my fascination with the Olympics began. Gymnastics is still one of my favorite summer Olympic sports and figure skating is my favorite winter Olympic sport.
When Kristi Yamaguchi won gold in 1992 at the Olympics in Albertville, France, it kicked off my interest in figure skating (see last year's A-Z blogging topic: favorite skating performances). Cannot believe that was twenty years ago now.
Do you enjoy watching the Olympics? Do you prefer the summer or winter games? What is your favorite sport? Who is your favorite Olympic athlete past or present?
If anyone reading this ever competed at the Olympics, kudos to you and congratulations. Making it to the Olympics is such an awesome accomplishment! I'm still trying to figure out what sport I can take up at this point in my life that will get me into the Olympics. After watching the Hunger Games movie recently, I'm thinking archery.


3 comments:
Love the winter games. I remember watching the 1976 games from Insbruck Austria. I was in the 6th grade. The 1972 ones don't really stick out in my mind at all, but I had only turned 7. Then there were the iconic 1980 games from Lake Placid at the height of the cold war when we defeated Russia. I loved the skaters of the 80s and early 90s. Katerina Witt was my fave for sure, and Kristi of course. And Oksana Bauil. And I also have always loved Tonya Harding. Say what you want about her but that girl has spunk.
Archery -- yesss! I enjoy events from both the summer and winter games, but curling is probably my newfound favorite, hands-down.
The Winter Olympics are my favorite and I love watching Luge. It is so exciting and fast. That's what I would compete in if I could.
Post a Comment