Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for Wizard of Oz

W is for Wizard of Oz

The dictionary defines nostalgia as, "longing for home or family, homesickness." One of my favorite movies that evokes this type of nostalgia is The Wizard of Oz. Throughout the movie, we follow Dorothy on her quest to get home from Oz and she realizes, "There's no place like home."

The movie always makes me think about home and brings up a favorite childhood memory of watching the movie on TV with my sister. Back in the 80s, The Wizard of Oz was only on TV once a year, so at our house this was a special event. We were allowed to stay up late (way past our usual bedtimes!) and watch the whole thing. We wore our pajamas, mom popped some popcorn, and my parents opened up the couch and pulled out the Hide-A-Bed, so we could lay on the bed under comfy blankets and watch the movie in style.

My favorite scene is when Dorothy opens the door after landing in Oz and the movie changes from black and white to brilliant color. The scene that still haunts my nightmares is when Dorothy is trapped with the sand running through the hourglass and the face of the Wicked Witch of the West shows up in the crystal ball. That close up of her glowing green face and cackling laughter always made me hide my face under a pillow.

Did you watch The Wizard of Oz back when it was a once a year TV event? What is your favorite scene or character? Have you ever read the book it was based on? I haven't yet, but L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is available to read online.

3 comments:

JoJo said...

Love this movie; ever since I was a kid and it was shown once a year. For awhile it was on or near Easter. Then for awhile it moved to Thanksgiving or Christmas. The scene that scared me most was looking up as the house fell to earth after the tornado. In the 80s I was in college so we gathered in the dorm lounges to watch....and have "chug of Oz" parties. lmao

I have read the book, and it's OK but I like the movie better. I esp. LOVE documentaries about 'the making of WOZ', showing outtakes and cut songs and scenes, like the surreal 'Jitterbug' song/dance that got cut.

Jeremy Bates said...

I actually still watch it a few times a year. It's one of my favorite movies of all times.

Did you know there are over 150 errors in the film?

Google it if you have the time. It's amazing to watch the movie after knowing the boo-boo's.

Anonymous said...

The flying monkeys kind of freaked me out as a kid, but now I think they're great. And the lion, of course -- his solo is my favorite of the three sidekicks. I did read the book, and I should probably check it out again.