Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Little House on the Prairie

L is for Little House on the Prairie

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie books and the TV show bring up a variety of nostalgic childhood memories. My mom read the books aloud in the car as we made our annual family road trip out West. It felt like we were following in the footsteps of the Ingalls, especially when we visited the Ingalls Homestead in De Smet, South Dakota. My dad even called my little sister "Half-Pint" like Pa called Laura.

The most difficult part of those 1980s road trips was the lack of air conditioning in the car. Compared to the hardships that settlers on the prairie went though in the late 1800s, it was a cake walk. Laura wrote about her experiences in such a warm authentic voice, that it makes the time period sound appealing despite their struggles. But I wonder if I would have what it takes to live that prairie lifestyle today without modern conveniences.

For me it's difficult to separate the books from the TV show. I picture Laura as Melissa Gilbert and Pa as Michael Landon and probably saw every episode at least twice. If you get a chance to watch a rerun, it still holds up over time. A favorite episode of mine was "At the End of the Rainbow" when Laura finds fool's gold and dreams of being rich. I don't think this story was in any of the books, but it sure is fun to see Nellie and Willie Oleson in rags (the best part of this clip starts at the 7 minute mark).

What about you? Did you read the Little House books? Did you watch the TV show? Who was your favorite character? Do you ever wish you lived in the old West?

Speaking of the old West and fool's gold... If you're feeling nostalgic for old time western heroes like Hopalong Cassidy and The Lone Ranger, check out my hubby's western adventure story Fool's Gold about Coyote Cal and his sidekick Big Yap available as an eBook for your Kindle via Amazon.

6 comments:

Francene Stanley said...

How wonderful of your mother to read stories during your trip. I was never so thoughtful. We took a whole year to travel around Australia in a large caravan in 1972. Boy it was hot when we hit the tripics up north. The isects drove me mad. After two days of suffering on the road from east to west, we headed down south and settled for a spot to call home. Now, I live in England.

http://francene-blogstitcher.blogspot.com

JoJo said...

I received the books for a b-day gift the same year that the show came out. I am the same age as Melissa Gilbert and always wore my hair in braids, before the show even came out. I love the books and the show. I so wish we had the time to veer off to DeSmet on the drive east last summer, but we were pressed for time and I only was able to shoot the highway exit sign. Boy could Michael Landon make himself cry. I remember weeping at the end of every episode. Still can't watch the 2-part "Lord is my Shepherd" when Laura runs away to Jonathan's Mountain.

Like you, I was attracted to the old west. I grew up watching Bonanza and had a crush on Michael Landon! It started my lifelong desire to live on the west coast, which I got to do for 22 years b/f moving back home last summer.

If you want a good read, pick up "The Ghost in the Little House", about Laura's daughter Rose. She took her mom's rough stories and ghost-wrote the Little House books.

Anonymous said...

My mom read the Little House books to us as well, but we had to travel only as far as the living room couch to hear them. I'll never forget the TV episode where that awful Nelly kid gets pushed down a hill in a wheelchair. And this Coyote Cal of which you speak -- is he some kind of famous storybook hero?

Sara Fowler said...

Francene - Your travels through Australia in 72 sound like an amazing adventure! I would love to travel there someday.

JoJo - Great to hear about your connection to the books and show. That sounds like the perfect time to receive the books! I remember the 2-part episode you mentioned and totally agree. So many waterworks. Thanks for the book rec! I will have to check that out ( :

M - That episode is a stand out. Remember the scene when the doc sticks needles in her toes and she tries to pretend she can't feel anything? Such a faker! Coyote Cal stories are the stuff of legend ( ;

Kittie Howard said...

When I saw Melissa Gilbret on DWTH, I felt a tinge of sadness. I know, I know, she had to grow up, but . . .

Donna K. Weaver said...

Loved this book series growing up. These Happy Golden Years was one of my favorite books for many years.