Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for Rockin' Eve

R is for Rockin' Eve
with Dick Clark

On New Year's Eve for as long as I can remember, I've watched the New Year's Rockin' Eve special featuring Dick Clark counting down to midnight in Times Square. After his stroke a few year's ago, his speech wasn't 100%, but he still returned to do the Rockin' Eve countdown. Ryan Seacrest took over the hosting role on the show, so it seemed fitting when I learned of Dick Clark's passing at age 82 when Ryan announced it and paid tribute at the beginning of American Idol Wednesday night.

New Year's Eve is a nostalgic night. It's natural to take a moment to reflect back on the year gone by while at the same time looking ahead with hope for the new year. Rockin' Eve does that by showcasing live performances from the top musical artists of the year. It also features clips of performances from past years, which always makes me realize how fast time is whizzing by.

Do you stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve and watch countdown shows like Rockin' Eve? Have you ever gone to Times Square in New York City on New Year's Eve and experienced it in person? Did you watch American Bandstand, or even better, were you ever on it back in the day? What about the game show $25,000 Pyramid? I would have loved to be on that paired up with an 80s celeb like Vicki Lawrence.

It will be a poignant moment when the clock counts down in Times Square on December 31, 2012. As Dick Clark used to say, "For now, so long."

3 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

My hub-to-be was in Times Square one year and loved the experience. Yes, we stay up for the countdown, a ritual we enjoy. But, so sad about Dick Clark. I felt as thought a bit of my youth died with him.

Anonymous said...

He was a real American icon, that's for sure, and he will be missed. I'm not much of a night owl, but I think I managed to stay awake for the millennial countdown!

JoJo said...

Rockin Eve started in 1972, right around the time my parents started letting me stay up to watch the ball drop (I was 8). It was so much a part of my NYE tradition after that. He will be missed. Bandstand was another fave.