Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for K-LOVE

K is for K-LOVE

How does the Christian radio station K-LOVE relate to nostalgia? The answer might surprise you.

A few weeks ago I was listening to K-LOVE when someone called in and made the observation that listening to secular radio stations that play 80s and 90s retro music leads to a sense of nostalgia. When you hear a song, you are instantly brought back to the time in your life when that song was popular. The caller went on the say that listening to Christian music has the opposite effect called "reverse nostalgia." For a Christian, it makes the listener look forward to a glorious future and their true home in heaven. This type of longing is also found in the poem "Intimations of Immortality" written by William Wordsworth long ago.

Whether or not your musical taste includes Christian Contemporary Music, have you experienced listening to a song and being transported to a different place and time? Also, do you still listen to the radio in your car or do you prefer creating your own personalized playlist for your iPod?

If you grew up going to Sunday School or VBS in the 80s, here is a musical blast from the past that I hope you'll enjoy: Psalty the Singing Song Book. Did any of you have a part in a Kids Praise musical production?

5 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

For me, the radio is very much in the background as I have a very poor sense of direction and really have to pay attention to where I'm going. Seriously!

Anonymous said...

I remember Psalty. =] And this week I just found out that a bunch of the '80's off-the-wall CCM I used to listen to is available on Youtube: Undercover, Daniel Amos, etc. Nostalgic? Mos def.

Unknown said...

I often listen to classical music now whenever I'm driving. The music that really brings me back is the 60s stuff. My mom always used to listen to it when I was growing up.

Good luck with the challenge!

Dianna Fielding
Sociologyfornerds.com

Unknown said...

I often listen to classical music now whenever I'm driving. The music that really brings me back is the 60s stuff. My mom always used to listen to it when I was growing up.

Good luck with the challenge!

Dianna Fielding
Sociologyfornerds.com

Sara Fowler said...

Kittie - That is so true. It should be in the background while driving. Here in SoCal I've gotten paranoid about people on cell phones texting and talking while driving. I keep my phone off now to prevent myself from being distracted on the road.

M - So much fun to rediscover old tunes!

Dianna - Classical music is a great idea for the car! It would ease my stress level in the midst of traffic.