I is for It's a Wonderful Life
"Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings."
If you're flipping through the TV channels during December, you'll probably stumble across this classic Christmas movie. Watching George Bailey realize the value of his "ordinary life" in a small town and the positive way his life influenced others has a universal appeal that still resonates today.
In our current culture that gives a disproportionate amount of attention to celebrities, something rings true when we watch this nostalgic movie and realize a "wonderful life" isn't about fame and fortune. It's about family, friends, and all the ways we impact the lives of those around us for good.
What about you? Do you watch this movie every year? Can we all agree the black and white version is better than the colorized one? Do you have another favorite holiday movie? Mine include the musical White Christmas and A Christmas Story:
"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

6 comments:
I can really relate to your post. I'm burned out on celebrity worship, fake reality shows, and exaggerated lifestyles. The 'simple life' is slow and steady, life's real foundation for happiness. I'd add "Holiday Inn" to your Christmas flicks.
This has got to be my favorite Capra film and maybe even my favorite Stewart movie, to boot. B&W! We hates colorization, Precious. My other Christmas favorite: A Wish for Wings that Work starring Opus the penguin.
Always watch it every year, and IMHO, colourized movies are blasphemous. During the holidays, my other fave movies are: Scrooge (the musical w/ Albert Finney), A Christmas Story and the 1 hour special, "A Child's Christmas in Wales". Oh and also the Waltons Christmas movie, "Homecoming".
Kittie - Holiday Inn is a great rec. Might have to watch a Christmas movie or 2 in April ( :
M - Thanks for introducing me to Opus the penguin!
JoJo - Yes, the Albert Finney Scooge is classic! Never saw the one that takes place in Wales, sounds good. Also, need to revisit that Waltons Christmas movie. Might have seen it, but can't remember the plot. Good ol' Johnboy!
Thanks for visiting my blog, and to answer your question about the Happy Stones, yes, I leave them around town in different places. But it seems like people are afraid to take them b/c they sit around for awhile. lol
Yes, I watch it nearly every year... Husband seems to get dust in his eyes near the end for some reason. AHEM... And yes, the black and white is the best.
I believe the idea of family and friends is what makes the movie.
Cat
Post a Comment