D is for Disney
One of my standout childhood memories is the Christmas when there was a plane ticket to Orlando, Florida in my stocking. My dad surprised the family with a trip to Disney World during spring vacation!
It was the first time I traveled on a plane, and the trip was a magical experience filled with unforgettable memories, like when the Thunder Mountain Railroad halted mid-ride, and we had to get out and walk on tiny steps next to the track to get back to the entrance.
As an adult living in Southern California, Disneyland is a nearby attraction. I've been several times, and just walking around the park makes me feel like a kid again and brings back the joy of that first trip to Disney World years ago.
It seems like Disney and nostalgia go hand in hand. The entire experience of going to a Disney park is designed to create lifelong memories, with souvenir shops on every corner, so you can bring mementos home.
What about you? Have you been to Disneyland or Disney World? Did you go as a child or as an adult with your kids? Did you buy the mouse ears with your name stitched in the back? And what was your favorite ride?
For a look at Disney rides that are gone but not forgotten, check out Yesterland. It's a nostalgia website devoted to remembering discontinued Disney rides.

4 comments:
It's a standing joke in my family that I never went to Disney Land. I continue to mention it to my husband, who lived right by DL when he was a kid. They went there quite often, and he, I suspect, sort of didn't get into it. Hence, the "Meh" attitude when I mention it. I would still love to go sometime to see it, though. Might have to just save up for a ticket... ;)
Cat
That Yesterland site is so cool! I remember fondly more than a few of those old rides.
My boyfriend is a Disney World ADDICT. He's been over 30 times since he was a kid and he's dying to take me too. I only went twice when I was a kid, and once to Disneyland after college. I never got the mouse ears though.
Cat - Yes, you've got to go someday ( : Maybe eventually enough time will go by that your hubby will want to go back. Or go for Disney World in FL instead. That has more parks nearby to see too!
M - Remember when I subjected you to Capt. EO in 2010? That one not so fondly. You were a good sport!
JoJo - Wow, 30 times is some sort of record! It will be so much fun when you go with an expert like your boyfriend, since he'll know his way around the park and all the strategies on avoiding long waits for rides ( :
Post a Comment