This is not about the book and movie Julie and Julia, although I’d recommend both. It’s about two other Julia Child related books. I just finished reading As Always, Julia and Backstage with Julia back-to-back. In my experience, reading anything about the life of Julia Child is inspiring because of her zest for life and energy to pursue the things that brought her joy: namely French cooking. These books had that effect, but they also made me ponder the nature of friendship.
How does one fan letter from a housewife in France lead to a pen-pal and deep friendship resulting in a best-selling cookbook? How does a volunteer turn into a trusted employee and friend throughout the last decades of an icon’s life? It’s a mystery worth exploring by reading these two books. They’ve encouraged me to be a better friend to the ones I’ve got and to be on the lookout for new friends who might be just around the corner.


No comments:
Post a Comment