Monday, December 2, 2013

Morning Glory Monday: Narnia Revisited

In October I was thrilled to hear there are plans to bring The Silver Chair to the big screen. This will be the fourth book from The Chronicles of Narnia series adapted into a theatrical release. The modern movie adaptations of the classic C.S. Lewis series began in 2005 with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. This was followed by Prince Caspian in 2008. Then in 2010 The Voyage of the Dawn Treader completed the film trilogy. I figured that was the end of the movies, so this was surprising and exciting news to a Narnia fan like me!

There are seven books in the series, and I would love to see all of them made into movies eventually. This is a great step in that direction. Most people have read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or at least heard of it because of the movie, but each book stands on its own. I grew up reading this paperback set. Now, the books are worn out and falling apart, but I can't get rid of them and still read them now and then. It is difficult to choose a favorite, but the way The Magician's Nephew prequel ties in with the other books is such a treat to discover. If you've never read the entire series, I recommend them all.

These books have a special place in my heart because they remind me of my childhood. It seems like they were always around. My mom read them to me before I read them on my own. Then, there was the cartoon from the 70s. The animation is very old school, but it was must see TV for me every year. Watching it was an event, and there were cozy blankets and popcorn involved. Amazing that the entire thing is now available with one click anytime on YouTube.  A few years later the BBC live action version was on television and became an instant classic in the late 80s and early 90s. But only four books were adapted by the BBC as well, so that leaves The Magician's Nephew, The Horse and His Boy, and The Last Battle. Hopefully The Silver Chair will be a hit and the other three will be green-lit in the future.

Have you read any of The Chronicles of Narnia books or the entire series? Which one is your favorite? Do you have a favorite film adaptation? I'm still kind of partial to the BBC version with low tech special effects and a White Witch who might haunt your nightmares and make you laugh simultaneously.

1 comment:

Von Rupert said...

I remember my teacher reading my 5th grade class The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It was amazing, and I couldn't wait until she finished the book so I could read it myself. :) It wasn't until college that I read the entire series. My best friend and I read it together, sometimes out loud to some of the girls on our floor. I attended to a small Christian college so books/classes/seminars relating to religion and faith were everywhere, but those books stand out to me as fundamental in my personal faith journey. I didn't know about the 70s cartoon--I will definitely look it up and share it with my kids. Thank you!