Monday, December 16, 2013

Morning Glory Monday: Food Court Surprise

Last week I raved about the return of The Sing-Off. It did not disappoint. In fact, it was on three times last week! Watching all the harmonizing reminded me of an inspiring video of a cappella singing that went viral a few years ago. It features The Hallelujah Chorus performed by a flash mob choir in a food court. If you've seen it already, it's worth a re-watch, and if you've never seen it, prepare to be amazed.

Recently I saw a similar video with a surprise musical performance of Ode to Joy. One of the best parts of watching this is the expression on the faces in the crowd as the flash mob orchestra gathers slowly instrument by instrument until a conductor and singers complete the ensemble. Their joy is contagious.

During this holiday season, I'm keeping an eye out for carolers, and spontaneous moments of joy like these flash mobs. Have you ever seen one in person? Have you ever been part of one? Have you ever gone Christmas caroling? I went with a group several times to a nursing home, and it was so heartwarming when the residents joined in and sang the familiar Christmas songs they still know by heart.

3 comments:

Misha Gerrick said...

Moments like that are magical. Wish I could experience one in person. :-D

Li said...

Every year our town has a "flash mob" that forms somewhere downtown for the Hallelujah Chorus. Every year it's grown: this year there were a few clandestine rehearsals, and the final performance included roughly 300 people! It's very moving. :-) Came here via Milo's blog, BTW. Merry Christmas!

Von Rupert said...

I've never seen a flash mob in person, but they always blow me away when I watch them on video. My husband and I are both music lovers, and our seven children are the same. Spontaneous singing among them is almost a daily occurrence. It's a gift each time I hear one child start to hum or sing, and the others automatically join in.