I have a vivid early memory of discovering a single brilliant blue morning glory flower growing wild along the chain link fence that surrounded my childhood home. It was sheer joy to find something so beautiful when I wasn't even looking for it.
Now that I'm grown up, I'm still on the lookout for unexpected beauty in everyday places. The morning glory symbolizes that for me, so today I'm kicking off a series of Morning Glory Monday posts.
My short story, "The Guessing Game" went live at Youth Imagination yesterday! It's a YA Comedy about a Christmas gift exchange. Hopefully, the awkward family dynamics and wacky characters will make you laugh and look forward to fun holiday festivities of your own in the months ahead.
Getting this story accepted was a wonderful surprise. The editorial revision process made it better, and the graphics that Youth Imagination added to it bring it to life. It's a small piece, but to me this acceptance is a huge step and an encouragement to continue writing and submitting. I also have to thank my hubby for laughing at the rough draft and repeatedly asking, "When are you going to submit Pop Pop?" He has a "few" stories published himself and just made a novel announcement. What an inspiration!
Another source of writing inspiration has been Emily P. Freeman of Chatting at the Sky. I just finished her new book "A Million Little Ways" and will be following along with the Bloom book study for the next month. This amazing book will make you see art in unexpected everyday places and will inspire you to pursue your dreams.

4 comments:
I also like to look for unexpected beauty.
Congrats on your story!
Way to go, Sara! Love that story. =]
That's fantastic! Congratulations!
Thanks for your encouragement!
Post a Comment