Monday, August 26, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again


It's been months since I posted anything and even longer since I submitted anything. The drought is finally over. I sent a new story "The Guessing Game" to Youth Imagination and an old story "The Lonely Loon" that languished for several years (gulp) to Spider.
 
Part of the submission process involved swallowing my pride and sending "The Lonely Loon" to a children's magazine vs. book publisher. I wrote it envisioning a picture book, but realized it would have a better chance in the magazine world.
 
Both online submissions required Submittable, so I also had to get over my resistance to technology. What do you know? The online submissions were easy and painless. Lesson learned... again.

It's funny that sometimes the things we want to do the most create the most resistance. I've got the book "The War of Art" on hold at the library. Can't wait to read more about this topic.
 
What about you? Have you ever come out of a writing and submitting drought only to be highly creative and productive? Have you read "The War of Art?" What are your thoughts on pushing through resistance? Here's to many more submissions in 2013 and beyond!
 

4 comments:

Susan Kane said...

I think my writing fell into a muddy ditch. I will retrieve it soon.

Anonymous said...

Back in the saddle -- yahoo! Keep up the good work. War of Art sounds like an interesting read, something we all can probably relate to.

Gwen Gardner said...

Good for you for submitting! I haven't written in months, but I have a book coming out soon - I've been busy editing. I'm looking forward to getting back into the writing swing, though.

Susan Oloier said...

Great post, Sara. Even though it is so very challenging, I always push through resistance. That's not to say I don't take breaks, but if I keep going, I typically find my way back to creativity.